Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Hymn Highlights


Wow, I’m really cutting it close this week—but it’s still Tuesday! (Barely) My quote this week comes from a song, or rather, a hymn. Uplifting music is a great way to feel the spirit. I love the line from the hymn “I Believe in Christ” (No. 134) in the fourth verse: “I believe in Christ; so come what may.” This sentence brings courage to me. I know that with Christ, all things are possible. As long as I believe in and trust Him, it doesn’t matter what comes my way; I’ll be able to get through it. Since this post is a little short right now and while I’m talking about hymns, I might as well include an excerpt from one of my favorite hymns. I discovered this hymn last year in institute. It’s hymn number 235: “Should You Feel Inclined to Censure”. I don’t think it’s very well known, but it’s a good one.  The word censure means judge. I think we all struggle a bit with judging. It’s how we make sense of the world around us; how we determine whether something is good or bad for us. However, sometimes it interferes with relationships. The part that hits me the hardest in this hymn is the last phrase: “…those of whom we thought unkindly oft become our warmest friends.” I know this holds true in my life; many times I have let judgments get in the way of friendships. I often realize I’ve become good friends with someone I’ve misjudged. I’m working on combating these initial thoughts so I can be more accepting of people I meet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment